Gospel power couple David and Tamela Mann celebrated 25 years of marriage with an intimate wedding ceremony and vow renewal surrounded by family and close friends last week at the Joule Hotel in Dallas.
From Tamela’s couture wedding gown and beautiful ceremony to a reception filled with plenty of dancing and entertainment, the event was everything David and Tamela dreamed of for their wedding – 25 years in the making.
“We decided to celebrate our 25th anniversary by renewing our vows at a wedding ceremony because when we got married 25 years ago, we didn’t have enough money for a wedding,” explained Tamela. “We wanted a ‘fairytale wedding,’ so we picked an ‘enchanted forest’ theme: from the invitation, which has David and me acting crazy in the middle of a forest – in 3D! …to the décor, which featured live trees, greenery and all kinds of flowers at the reception… to our grandbabies as our wedding party dressed as little princes and princesses. Our children weren’t happy THEY didn’t get to be in the ceremony, but they eventually were ok with it because their kids got to be up front with us.”
KP Designs helped to coordinate the event hosted at the Joule Hotel in Dallas, creating the old-world romantic, beautiful, chic and lush feel David and Tamela wanted for their guests. The Cake Guys created the wedding cake, and Christy Davison from Dallas’ Sweet Creations made the groom’s cake. Tamela’s dress was designed by Binzario Couture.
“My dress makes me emotional to talk about,” said Tamela. “I spent months designing the gown with the designer, so I knew every intimate detail of it, but when I saw it at my final fitting – I lost it. It was everything I could have ever dreamed of in a bridal gown and something 25 years ago I never would have imagined I’d ever get to wear. I felt like I was in a fairytale in it, but I have to say, no more than I felt 25 years ago when I was blessed enough to marry my forever love, my best friend, my baby daddy, David.”
With a couple like David and Tamela, entertainment for their guests was high on the priority list for the reception. The evening was filled with musical entertainment by Shawn Martin and The Go-Go Band and singer/songwriter Terrell Carter, comedic entertainment by Derrick Kenner, and even an impromptu performance of “Take Me To The King” from Tamela and her long-time pal, Kirk Franklin.
As congratulatory toasts were made by some of David and Tamela’s high-schools friends, Franklin took to the piano and began playing notes to “Take Me To The King,” motioning for Tamela to take the microphone. The collaboration at the reception was their first public performance of the mega-hit single since working together in the studio.
1. Erica Atkins-Campbell and Tina Atkins-Campbell of Mary Mary arrive to the show (Moses Robinson / Getty Images)1 of 23
2. Donnie McClurkin performs at the Dove Awards (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)2 of 23
3. Mary Mary performs at the Dove Awards at the Fox Theatre (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)3 of 23
4. Yolanda Adams sings at the Dove Awards (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)4 of 23
5. Show hosts Chonda Pierce and David Mann (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)5 of 23
6. Yolanda Adams (center), Donnie McClurkin (third from right) and The Tenors perform (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)6 of 23
7. Yolanda Adams, Angie Stone, and Karen Peck on stage (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)7 of 23
8. Demetria McKinney walks the Dove Awards red carpet (Moses Robinson / Getty Images)8 of 23
9. Kirk Franklin at the show (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)9 of 23
10. Mandisa arrives to the Dove Awards (Moses Robinson / Getty Images)10 of 23
11. Lecrae and Tedashii attend the Dove Awards (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)11 of 23
12. Blanca Callahan and Michael Tait perform at the Dove Awards (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)12 of 23
13. Mary Mary performing at the Dove Awards (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)13 of 23
14. Kirk Franklin arrives to the show (Moses Robinson / Getty Images)14 of 23
15. Anson Dawkins and Eric Dawkins of Dawkins & Dawkins attend the Dove Awards (Moses Robinson / Getty Images)15 of 23
16. Natalie Grant performs (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)16 of 23
17. Montell Jordan (L) and AJ Styles on stage (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)17 of 23
18. Mary Mary performs (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)18 of 23
19. Danny Gokey, Mandisa, Ruben Studdard, and Phil Stacey perform (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)19 of 23
20. Ruben Studdard performs (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)20 of 23
21. Yolanda Adams and The Tenors perform (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)21 of 23
22. Jamie Grace attends the show (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)22 of 23
23. Angie Stone performs (Rick Diamond / Getty Images)23 of 23